Sunday, February 10, 2013

DIY Teacup Candles


So I saw this adorable idea somewhere on Pinterest and decided I HAD to try it out!! I love candles and the antique teacups are adorable so it just made sense.  First I gathered all of the supplies I need from my local Hobby Lobby a.k.a. the best store in the world!!  I bought the teacups from Goodwill for 50 cents a piece which was a heck of a deal. You will also need a hot glue gun and a pair of scissors.

Then I took braided candle wicks, slipped them through a candle wick holder and then hot glue gunned the holder to the bottom of the inside of the teacup.

Next step is adding the scent to the wax crystals, I chose vanilla.  So you pour the wax crystals into a ziploc bag and then add your scent and shake until all of the wax crystals are evenly coated.

After that I poured the scented wax crystals into the teacup nearly to the top because they will melt down. I then used clothespins to keep the wick from falling into the wax crystals so the wick wouldn't melt into the wax when I put the teacups in the oven.

Then I put them in the oven at 250 degrees and left the oven on until the wax crystals were completely melted.  After the wax crystals melted completely I turned of the oven and let them cool in there so that the teacups wouldn't break do to the immediate change in temperature.  It also keeps the wax even because when you try and move them when they're not completely solid, they get all weird looking.

When the wax was completely cooled I took the candles out and trimmed the wicks down and lit them up... and this is the final project!! I am in love with these candles and light them every single night. I can't wait to take these with me when I move out in the fall!! Let me know what you think. <3

2 comments:

  1. So cool, just a random question, you're moving out this fall? also, where are mine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks and no, not anymore. ill make you some though. they are adorable!! and wayyyy cheaper compared to normal candles haha

    ReplyDelete